Class of 2017 has the historic honor of being the first class to have new Essay prompts on the Common Application main essay in over eight years! There are several other changes, like the word limit is now 650 words (before 500) and will be strictly enforced. The system is also going completely online this year (read: inevitable problems looming).
I for one am very happy with these changes as I found the old topics quite stale and invoking equally stale responses. I have always appreciated the Topic of Your Choice option over the cheesy "Miss World" like response from the old Diversity prompt or the Issue of National importance (sorry, almost fell asleep again writing that!). Oh, another change, the Topic of you Choice no longer an option!
Without further adeiu, here are the new Prompts:
- "Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story."
- "Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?"
- "Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?"
- "Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content. What do you do or experience there, and why is it meaningful to you?"
- "Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family."